Sunday – God’s own day! Usually I like it to be lazy but we had a few things planned today and knew the day will be busy. I did enjoy my two cups of tea in the morning which is our Sunday ritual. It gives us a good start to the day.
Breakfast was a quick toast and egg. I don’t think I can ever get bored with this brekkie. Usually Sunday breakfast are elaborate but as we had to head off for the chores, this was the best quick brekkie on the go.
We went to udaya to do our indian shopping. Since I have visited that place, I feel closer to home and whatever little pangs I had about missing foods from home have disappeared. The place has everything and more that you can get in India. We got the lunch from there today, medu vada, chicken scotch cutlet and vegetarian roll. Avi also got his fav gulab jamun for dessert and I got a pista kulfi. It was fantastic and I felt a strange contentment after eating it. Here is the pic of lunch.
For dinner, I cooked mushroom pulao with boondi raita. The boondi raita reminds me of the summers in Jaipur where it was a regular dinner table dish. The pulao is an easy quick dinner for the nights when you don’t want to slog in the kitchen. Here is the pic and recipe.
- 1 packet of button mushrooms of about 200 – 250 gms
- 50 g Peas
- 1 Medium size onion
- 1 Medium size tomato or 2 small tomatoes
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger – garlic
- 3 cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- Cinnamon 1.5 0r 2 inches
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- salt or sea salt
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 15-20 mins.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add the whole garam masala and fry till they pop up. Add the onions and sauté the onions till transparent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few minutes. If you don’t want to use the paste you can use finely chopped ginger garlic as well.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, peas and mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder and mix well.
- Add the soaked rice and the chopped green chili.
- Add the soaked rice and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Serve with achar and raita.