I was raised to believe that talking about yourself and your virtues was not a done thing. If you put yourself first, then you are being selfish. Our culture thrives on compromises and penance. So it took me a long time to break those barriers.
I slowly learnt that if you can’t love yourself, then it is hard to love others. It is important to know your own strengths and virtues (and opportunities) to be effective. Self love does not equate to selfishness, rather it helps you be selfless and more giving. So like Kareena Kapoor Khan from Jab We Met, I love myself the most!
So why not write down what I love about myself. I am sure it will bring a smile to your face when you write it, just like it is infusing happiness in me.
- I am a genuinely nice person. I do get upset from time to time as I am human but I like people and I don’t have a mean bone in my body. Whatever little judgemental streak I had, I have consciously learnt to curb it.
- Optimistic, Positive is how I describe myself and how people describe me. My husband calls me sunshine! I believe that I will get what I am destined to get in life and the universe will always deliver if I ask sincerely.
- I am passionate about everything and everyone that I embrace in my life. My passion keeps the fire going in me.
- I am brutally honest. My friends and family know where they stand with me. My mind, heart and what I say are completely in sync. There is no agenda, no sub text in what I say and I love me for that.
- I am blindly loyal to people I love and respect. I am no fair weather friend. If I call you one, I will stick through thick and thin.
- I am a hopeless romantic. I believe in love and that it is the most powerful force in the world. So while I have had my heart broken a couple of times, my romance hasn’t faded.
- I love me for loving all things new. I am curious like a child and like to know and try everything.
- I have a strong sense of values and live my life according to them. This is the reason I am not fazed by what others think or say about me coz I live life by my own rules.
- I am incredibly intelligent. There are times when I act like a dumb person in a room full of people but that is coz I am a naturally kind person but I like that I have been blessed with abundance of grey cells.
- I love my own company. I am my best friend and am never bored sitting by myself.
I can write a few more things I love about myself – my family first motto, my kindness but I think the above paints a picture. I do have a lot of opportunities to improve too. I am human, so come with flaws. But the best part is I know about them and am continually working to improve them.
Have you written a love letter to yourself? If not, do it now! You will be surprised at how happy it makes you feel.