I had written an earlier post on the incompetence of one of the largest banks in India. Since then, I received a call from their regional manager assuring me that he will take care of my concerns and that I am a valuable customer. I thought may be I have been the light bulb moment for them. Alas! How wrong was I!! I will relate to you what I have started calling the “saga of changing address”
1. The regional manager called me to apologise and saying sweet words such as he understood my issues and is making sure that he has a resolution for me. I was elated, that is what I wanted. He promised to pick up the paperwork from my parents place.
2. They picked up the paperwork and then there was lull. No calls, no email, no confirmation.
3. I wrote to them 2 times in my busy schedule(hey, I am only a customer) asking them the status. There was no response, not even acknowledgement of my email.
4. I wrote another email, this time threatening complain if I don’t receive a response. Lo and Behold! The regional manager wrote back stating that he is “looking for a resolution” for me. He will get back to me by COB that day.
5. A silence again. By the way they have a 5.5 hrs advantage on me. I am ahead in time.
6. Then the last email arrived from the branch manager stating yet again that they need my original signature and the paperwork is not valid as my parents have printed it. So we are back to square one.
I still have to receive responses to my queries from any of the incompetent people that I am dealing with in HDFC around the whys behind this saga
1. Why are they insistent on a form when multiple people have spoken to me to establish my identity.
2. Why is it okay for them to send the form to me by email but not for me o send it via the same channel.
3. Why do they have something as simple as change in address not available online while all monetary transactions can be done.
It saddens me that India which is considered an IT super power is still 25 yrs behind when it comes to understanding and dealing with customers. I am considering lodging a case against them in consumer forum, may be I can make a small change and make them have a light bulb moment!