And just like that, a quarter of the year is over. It doesn’t matter whether we are living our life or just existing, time continues to slip.
I went backwards this month. I am not even sure how or why but I stopped my walks, my mental health was not the best and I struggled a lot to keep up.
The weather, the routine, the tiredness of it all just knocked the wind out of me and I lost my mojo. After menopause, I have realised that sometimes small things tends to overwhelm me and I have to make a humongous effort to pick myself again. The big change I have made is that unlike before, I am now kinder to myself and don’t beat myself when I don’t meet my set expectations. Life has to carry on in spite of the setbacks.
March was women’s day month. One of my friends started an interesting discussion on feminism and empowerment – two words that have become such a fad that they are misused the most by the very people who should be propagating them.
Feminism for me is about equality and choices for both genders so that they are free from the gender based expectations piled on them by the society. They can do what they want and be the best version of their selves irrespective of their gender.
In patriarchal societies, feminism will free men as much as it will benefit women. I have seen in india, the damage done, where there are expectations for men to earn or behave in a certain way.
They say the men hold on to patriarchy but I have a view that it is the women who hold on to it and are the ones who have the power to break it. The powerful matriarchs of the world, if they get together, they can break any barriers and change the world order. After all, the men ruling the world were all sired by women!
My scorecard dipped on all counts this month and I am motivated to start this month and quarter on a better note. Every setback helps me understand my own challenges more and put things in place that will propel me forward.
- Health – I only walked for half a month. After that, my walks stopped and my mood also became grey like the weather. I am committed to starting it back and kickstarting some cardio this month.
- Friends and Family – This is one thing I kept – had lots of chats with my bestie, my mum and my sister. That kept me going during the month.
- Personal Growth – I was happy to just curl up and stay still this month. I read a few pages of already read books but did nothing else at all.
- Money – Still no spend – in fact I am surprised as to how little I need since I have taken the pledge.
- My Boys – A few stay ins at home, a few dinners out during a very busy school month meant it was pretty much making the most of whatever time we had together. School holidays are coming and we are aiming to spend a lot of quality time together to catch up.
I did manage to attend a few events and get togethers with friends in between my down days. They were always a great blessing. Here’s hoping the change in month will be a positive step for me and the world.